Since the developer meeting of April/May 2007, we decided that we should release versions more often. We also drew up a list of features which we consider to be important — tasks we need to do before we feel comfortable releasing a 1.0.0 version. The results of those discussions are in this feature list spreadsheet.
What the version number means
Stellarium uses a three part version number: A.B.C where
- A is the series version number. This remains at 0 until we feel we have all the basic functionality which is required for a feature-complete planetarium project. This core functionality is documented in the Stellarium tasklist document.
- B is the major release number. Major releases may include a lot of new functionality, or maybe just a re-worked internal structure. Either way, when this is incremented it's a milestone of some sort. At major releases it is expected that compatibility with older major versions could be broken. This includes scripting commands, configuration options, command line options and work-flow within the program.
- C is the service release number. Service releases are for bug fixes and may come with extra functionality as it is implemented. With a bit of luck, compatibility with previous service releases for the same major releases should be maintained.
Note that in practice, this scheme is poorly maintained and the version number of a new release may not be representative of its contents.
- 0.10.0 beta. This release was tagged as a "beta" on its splash screen and elsewhere because of the features which were missing: the TUI, telescope control, scripting, etc. The next version was called 0.10.1 and re-introduced some of the missing features, such as a new scripting engine.
- 1.0.0. If we ever get here, it’ll be awesome. Somehow it always seems a few years off. Ho hum.
Released June 7 2007.
Released January 17th, 2008.
Released September 24th, 2008.
Released February 6th, 2009. Focus: New scripting engine. API improvements and documentation.
Released on 10 March 2009. Uses Qt 4.5.
Released 30th January 2010, Built with Qt Creator on Qt 4.6.1.
0.10.4 For Windows
Released 23rd Febrary 2010, Built with Qt Creator 4.6.2.
Released 3rd June 2010 Windows, Mac, built with Qt 4.6.2.
Released on 6th December 2010. Two separate builds for Mac OS X, for Intel and PPC. The Windows package was repackaged a day after the initial release to include the Qt 4.7.1 libraries, so its version number was incremented to 0.10.6.1.
Released 2nd July 2011 new feature version, for testing features and providing bug fixes while work on 1.0.0 is completed.
Released 4th Nov 2011 another bug fix version with some new plug ins and features. The release of version 1.0.0 is still delayed by problems with the completion of the new script engine. A version 0.11.2 will probably be released well before the much awaited version 1.0.0
Released on 10 March 2012. The main theme of this version seems to be localization - most of the text used by the default plug-ins is now translatable, landscape names are now translatable, country names are now translatable, scripts names and descriptions are now translatable.
Released 18 May 2012. Another bug fix version.
A decision was made that the next version after 0.10.6 would be the long-awaited 1.0.0. (Unless there are significant bugs in 0.10.6 that warrant a bug fix release.)